Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Magnetic Pin Holder

Project pincushion!  Because who doesn't need one?  I wanted a magnetic pin holder like my mom, but my mom told me we could make one that was a lot cuter than anything we could buy.  First order of business?  Get a dish with a thin bottom.  I got a plain white plate from the D.I.  I wanted it to be extra cute, so I used the cricut to make some vinyl dots.

Once I had my polka dots placed, I sprayed the plate with jade spray paint.  Don't try to pull off the vinyl until the paint has had some time to set, it doesn't work well!

To make it magnetic, I glued magnets on the back with some E6000.  This is why it's important you find a dish with a fairly thing bottom, so the magnets will work through it.


You can see where the magnets pulled together- through the glue and spray paint!  Since they love each other so much, I had to space them pretty far apart.  Turned out that five magnets wasn't enough coverage, so I had to add a few more.  The additional magnets required clamps to keep them from migrating to their magnet loves.

I checked the magnetism by throwing some pins on top and decided it was sufficient, so then I cut a piece of felt the size of the indent on the bottom of the dish and hot glued it on so it would slide nicely on countertops, etc.

VOILA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment