Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Single Panel Door Headboard

I've been wanting a headboard for quite some time, and when my mom sent me a link to a tutorial on how to build a headboard from a 5 panel door, I knew I had to try! I couldn't find a 5 panel door (besides a special order one from The Home Depot that would have cost $75!!) So I went to restore and found a door with one big panel, got one 10 foot 4x4 from Home Depot, some 1x2, a 10 foot 1x6, a little moulding, a sheet of bead board, primer and black spraypaint.  Whew.
The first order of business was to cut off some of the door so that the panel was centered.
Then I cut the 4x4 in half and measured out where we needed to make the slots for the door to sit in.
I didn't have a stacked blade or a dato to do this with the table saw, so I used a table saw to cut the outside borders of the slots and then used a router to take out the wood in the middle. 
Once both slots were cut, I put some liquid nails in the slots and slid the door in.  To make sure it was sturdy I put three screws through the post and into the door.
I then took my 1x4 and put it at the top and bottom of the door to bring it level with the front of the posts.  
I then used the 1x6 to make the top of the headboard (Nic wanted somewhere to set things.  Whatever.)
Then I put the molding right underneath the top.
Now I have a fully functioning and awesome headboard!  But, I thought it was plain this way so I cute a piece of bead board to fit in the panel and stuck it on using liquid nails. (I took pictures of this step, but I can't find them.)  I filled in the nail holes with some nail hole filler, then we primed it and sprayed it black.


This is the finished product.  I know it's hard to see, but I can't find the picture I took of it before the bed was made.  The headboard is currently living at my parents house-long story-but someday it will live with me!
Sorry for the pictures.  All my lighting was awful and I don't know how to use my camera.  I'll try to find a better one to post!

No comments:

Post a Comment