Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Back to school

This is the second week that school has been back in session.  I'm fairly excited for this semester since sewing and textiles ought to be a blast.  I already had my first textiles adventure!  One of our exercises in class today was a burn test to decide what type of fabric we were dealing with.  Today we worked with only natural fibers and burned cotton, flax, hemp, silk, wool, and leather.  The first three were fine because they're all made of plants, so they mainly just smelled like campfire.  The last three smelled pretty bad since they're made of animal proteins.  Strangest thing, wool smelled exactly the same as the smell while they're drilling teeth at the dentist.  (crazy, but once I put my finger on it, the rest of the class agreed.) Leather, well, leather is flesh.  So leather smells like burning flesh.  And if you've never smelled burning flesh, consider yourself lucky. Very, very lucky.  I dry heaved, and it smelled so bad we actually ended class an hour early.  Bonus!  

Nic and I are making slow slow progress on the upstairs bath.  It gets hard with limited funds, work, and school, but hopefully it will be done soon.  Tonight we put up a picture ledge from Ikea.  I have a couple decorations/frames for it, but I need to get the pictures for them.  It seems like there is a huge list of projects that need to be done and it never gets any shorter!  Oh well, this is the life of a full time employee/student/homeowner.

No comments:

Post a Comment